Here are some tips to help your home look it’s best for our photo session!
- Declutter! Clear all unnecessary objects from furniture throughout the house.
- Keep accessories and objects on the furniture restricted to groups of 1, 3, or 5 items.
- Replace any burnt out light bulbs and ensure all light bulbs are the same color temperature.
- If possible, remove items that are not designated for the room they are currently in. An example would be a treadmill in the bedroom.
- Remove any items taped to walls
- Open blinds and curtains
- Remove hidden items from under the bed, behind furniture, placed on chairs
- Remove any newspapers, magazines, stacks of papers and mail
- Put away any space heaters, fans, vaporizers and dehumidifiers, phones and remote controls
- Remove pet food bowls, litter boxes, and toys
- Remove any unsightly doormats or rugs that might be hiding nice flooring.
- Turn off all TVs, computers, and ceiling fans
- Conceal power cords
- Make beds, straighten picture frames, and organize pillows.
Kitchen and bath
- Clear all unnecessary objects from the kitchen countertop
- Remove items from the front, sides, and top of the refrigerator
- Make sure no dirty dishes are in the sink
- Clean all appliances
- Remove tablecloths
- Close all toilet lids
- Put away all toiletries. This includes items left on the vanity, exposed shelving, and in the bath and shower areas
- Coordinate towels in one or two colors, or remove if they aren't in great shape
- Make sure mirrors are clean.
- Hide garbage cans, toilet brushes, and scales. If this isn’t possible, make sure they are empty and clean.
- Put away dish soap, and disposable plastic hand soap containers.
- Remove calendars that can date a listing
- Straighten bar stools and chairs
- Remove yard clutter, put away hoses and any signs from your yard
- Trim bushes and trees
- Mow the lawn and weed if applicable
- Apply fresh mulch or pine straw
- Remove or replace dead plants or flowers
- If possible, hide garbage cans
- Remove cars parked in the driveway or that are parked in front of the house
- Make sure windows are clean
- Power wash decking, exterior, and driveway if needed
- Organize deck furniture, uncover grill, make sure toys or unnecessary items are removed
- Feel free to do a walkthrough with the photographer upon arrival but avoid following them throughout the session.
- If you have limited space consider designating a secondary room or garage for temporary storage ahead of time instead of trying to move items from room to room while we're onsite.
- Make sure pets are out of the home or kenneled.
- We won't be staging your home so please make arrangements with your realtor or stager prior to our session.
- Please be patient while we're there. Great images are critical for marketing and it's in our best interest to have enough time to capture the images of your home.
- I don't usually photograph closets, pantries, or garages unless they are a selling feature of your home. If they are, please make sure they are organized and clean for the session.
Mimi Erickson Photography LLC